Thursday, June 25, 2009

What am I doing for God's Glory today?

Therefore, whether you eat or drink, or whatever you do, do everything for God’s glory. I Corinthians 10:31

I have to admit it: I like people! Having just moved halfway across the country, I thought it would be hard for me to make new friends in a place so foreign to where I have been for the last 20 years. I even thought I might just "bide my time" here since we may only be here for a year. Maybe just stay at home and write and take care of my own business.

God has wired me for relationship, however. Whether I am on the internet or shopping at the local WalMart Marketplace, I find myself looking for people. Knowing from my growing up years that the desert southwest can be a lonely place and people aren't as ready to give a smile as in the south or midwest, I was prepared to shop in quietness. Guess what? I can't help myself! I smiled at a child first...and got a toothy grin right back. I commented on product availability in the supermarket aisle and got a smile and a response in return. I spoke to the checker before he could speak to me...he smiled, too! And when I could not understand the Asian man, I smiled apologetically and said, "I'm sorry; I'm not understanding." He smiled and tried again with hand gestures...and I got it!

What makes the difference in what I thought I knew and what I found to be true? When I read my scripture this morning, it said to do everything for God's glory. Everything! So, if I am to be shining like a light in the universe, if I am to be reflecting the Christ Who lives in me, if I am to be known as a child of God, I cannot refuse to interact with His creation. I need to use the talent for recalling names and the need to relate to people that God placed in me for His Glory--certainly not for mine.

Moving to a new city is never easy. The older I get the harder it is. God has always gone before me and paved a way of service for me, and it is usually different from anything I have done before. And if He has us here for only one year, I pray that I can be faithful to be what He asks of me for 365 days, and that all that I do reflects HIS glory!

What am I doing for God's Glory today?

No comments:

Post a Comment